View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #69 (permalink)
lunatic59
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 13,228 Times in 7,234 Posts

Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It's been 5 days since I bought my Transformer and I still haven't told my wife

Of course I have been busier than a Congressman at a corporate recruiting fair and haven't had the chance to put it through many of it's paces, but here is my initial impression.

The screen is what I would expect from an IPS display. Bright and vibrant with colors reproducing anywhere from good to excellent. There is a bit of light leaking around the bezel but only on bootup (that I've noticed) when the screen is completely black. Also, out of the box, there was a stuck pixel (red) for the first day or so, but it has settled down and is gone.

One thing I noticed right away was the way the screen was mounted. There is no separation or creaking on mine as has been reported by others, but the black plastic ribbon around the glass seems to be a little rough on one edge. I an not sure if it common from manufacturing or it was something done in the process of refurbing the unit. (FYI, purchased as new item from Best Buy with all seals seemingly intact.)

No matter, it's working fine so I am not going to get my boxers in a bunch over it.

Had some app freakiness, mainly from phone apps trying to run on a tablet, but that's to be expected. I also am marginally unimpressed with media support. I can play mpeg files okay with moboplayer, but if I try to fastforward or rewind the app force closes. I've tried converting a few to MP4's but the sound is out of sync. That's a problem with my conversion and not the player, so i guess I have to work on that one.

I'll be back when I have had more time with it, but for now I give it two thumbs up with a hangnail or two.

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.