Thread: General Software Update
View Single Post
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
1of7627

Device(s): LG Spectrum, Spectrum II, Enlighten, Mach, Optimus G
Carrier: Ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembeman View Post
I get an error after trying to download the update. It says download failure "device runs out of memory." The file is 71,202 KB (about 70 MB) and I have over 700MB available in all 3 of my storage locations. I guess it's just failing and giving me a generic failure message. I'm downloading over 4G. Anyone else successful or unsuccessful downloading the update on 4G????

Update: After trying 2 or 3 times, now my phone tells me that there is no update available. WTF???
I don't doubt for a minute that you might have too little available RAM to apply the update due to the runnning services you have. As I mentioned in another post, I was running about 100mb and having lag and other issues. (The messaging app I use kept warning me I had too little memory.) If you have many screens with lots of widgets, try temporarily deleting some of the widgets (that you can easily add back later), then reboot the phone and try applying the update manually (from the Settings menu, About Phone, Software update, etc.). Make sure you have WiFi, BT and GPS off and whatever else you don't need. You can't stop all the pre-installed bloatware unless you root the phone, but you should be able to clear enough RAM to get the update on. Then you can reasses what widgets and processes you need and go from there. Good luck. - MarkC