I have recently bought the LG Optimus One P500, & am very impressed with it.
Was thinking of upgrading the system to Gingerbread & on seeing many users having done so, I wanted to ask some questions on the upgrade :
1. The shopkeeper recommended me not to upgrade the system, as the phone & it’s hardware is more suitable for 2.2, & upgrading will bring performance issues. On the other hand, I had heard somewhere that it also brings speed improvements over Froyo. So, what is actually true on the speed/performance front?
2. I remember that manually updating Nokia firmware was said to be very risky, since fault (electricity going, USB disconnecting, etc.) during the updating process could destroy the OS of the phone, resulting in permanent phone failure. Is it true while manually upgrading Android too?
3. HTC Wildfire S allows us to use the PC’s Internet Connection on the phone via USB (opposite of tether) Is it a native feature of Gingerbread, or is that a special feature of the phone?
4. Are the improvements in 2.3 significant enough?
5. Will all the data (contacts, installed apps) remain safe?
6. Is it possible to downgrade back to Froyo after upgrading?
Thanks in advance,