View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
drexappeal
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
Good point about the issue of launchers and reviews. Usually the reviews devote a significant amount of time & verbiage to the launcher/UI which is a waste of time. In reality the UI should probably not even be in the review because unlike most other parts of the phone (and the review), e.g. the screen, radio, sound quality, camera quality, etc., the UI is almost completely and very easily changeable - while those other things in the review are impossible to change in the device by the user. Really, it would make a lot more sense for them to avoid reviewing the UI in device reviews altogether, then review the UI separately when a version of it comes out and maybe at the same time review/compare/contrast against new versions of LauncherPro, GO Launcher, etc.
To a certain extent, I understand why they go through the UI because some of the built-in apps are specific to the manufacturer and in the case of Sense UI and TouchWiz, there are certain widgets that won't work with aftermarket launchers (which I've also found is a moot point because there are a ton of replacement apps that work just as well, if not better).

It's rare where I'll find a video review that truly hits home on the points that are important to me, as far as purchasing an Android phone is concerned. And to think, I'm someone that probably would've rooted if I ended up finding a real "necessity" to do that...but I haven't gotten to that point with the Photon (and was only on the verge of rooting the EVO to overclock, due to the slight lag I started experiencing after 1 year of owning that phone).