I have a Galaxy S (GI9000) and had this problem and found NO help on Internet for days. Until I happened across a YouTube clip from Samsung. That was the missing piece for me. Here are the steps:
- Hook up Galaxy S to computer with USB cord.
- My phone gives me three options: 'Kies' (which doesn't work), 'Media Player' or 'Mass Storage'. Select 'Mass Storage'.
- My phone says 'USB Connected', but it just means the cord is connected. Hit the 'Connect USB storage' button.
- You should see Windows Explorer open with the phone's INTERNAL SD card's folder.
- Follow the instructions in Samsung's video here: Captivate - How to Transfer Media to a Computer - YouTube. Basically, you need to copy from the INTERNAL SD card to the EXTERNAL SD card. Then, you can copy from the EXTERNAL SD card to your computer.
- Make sure you copied every file you selected. It took me a couple of tries; it may require several passes with different files selected; it may depend on the size of your EXTERNAL SD card.
Hope this helps someone.