Well I would not buy this if planning on streaming from a NAS stasik, I'm in the same neck of the woods as you so expect a long waiting period. Your really better off waiting for GoogleTV when it officially launches in UK/IE or the Tvix XRoid A1.
I only bought this partly of curisoty and the fact that XBMC devs have been experimenting with linux on Amilogic boards so I'm hoping to turn this into an XBMC box one day.
What Geniatech need to do to just turn it into a competent media player is;
1) Create a media center app so it actually has a UI suitable for HDTV's like what Tvix have done
for their Android player.
2) The media player that ships with it should at minimum have UPnP/DLNA support and at best have SMB support (yes that's there but is broken as far as I can tell).
3) Include some sort of emulation or hack to trick apps into thinking they are running on wireless when using ethernet.
4) Change the homepage from hantarex to Google.
5) Restore the display resolution control panel.
6) Enable sound control panel so at least you have some basic control.
7) Restore the missing HiDTV app in the firmware.
8) Update to Android 2.3 if it would resolve app market compatibility, some apps supported on 2.2 are missing from market like Plugplayer or ArkMC media player.
That would be a start.