View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
archer75
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanRobby View Post
There is no reason the WiFi HAS to be on for you to get notifications. You should get notifications in your car, when you are MILES from any WiFi network.
Correct. I am aware of that. While i'm at home and even sometimes not I turn off cell data to reduce data usage. But at home and work I want wifi on always. In between I know I need cell data for notifications.

Quote:
If there is an app that needs to check for notifications when the screen is off, say FaceBook or Twitter, it will turn the WiFi on to check for notifications, and then back off.
This is not happening. These apps aren't turning the wifi on at all. Mostly I care about staying up to date on email and google voice. Some news apps. So I don't need a lot of notifications but the ones I need I need often.

Quote:
If you are NOT getting notifications when in range of your WiFi network, it's possible that you are at the FRINGE of the coverage for your home network.
I'm sitting next to my router. When the screen is on and it connects it stays connected without issue. Good strong signal.

Quote:
You don't WANT the WiFi to stay on all the time. If it did, your battery would last just a couple of hours, even without you using the phone.
This isn't an issue for ios devices so that's why I didn't know it was different with android devices.
It had me wondering if my phone was faulty. I see that is not the case.

I'll look into this auto network switching apps. Seems like a good solution.
Last edited by archer75; September 18th, 2011 at 09:36 PM.