View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
quixotic1

Device(s): Samsung Exhibit 4G (SGH-t759)
Carrier: Not Provided

Wow... Thanks so much for the quick and complete reply, @webguy82. I really appreciate it!

Yes, I'm on Win-Vista, and yes I have WinRAR and WinZip - no problem there. I did see that "newb" rar-rollup that said it did all the 'stuff' for you (the one to which you linked in your reply). I generally avoid running things that say they 'do it for you' (especially from something downloaded from who-knows-where by who-knows-whom)... but perhaps in this case, I'm just too new to the scene to do this on my own. I'll spend a little time going through the bat file, just to see what it's all doing for me - hopefully start to get myself learning more about this stuff. It's also nice to know that someone else has used the rollup, and that it worked. That gives me a little more confidence in using it.

Of course, the most important piece of info you gave me was the samsung driver file. I think I had the "tether" file downloaded some months back... but, never really needing to use tether, so I never bothered with installing it. And I'd never guess that was the file I needed.

I have installed Samsung Kies, but haven't found much, if any, use for it. Does installing Kies install the necessary driver? Or should I go ahead and just install the drivers you linked from the Samsung site in your reply anyway?

Lastly, do I presume correctly that I will need set my phone to USB Debugging before running the batch file?

And, should I use a formatted SD card? Or is it safe to just use the one I've been using, with all my apps and photos etc already on it (perhaps after making a safety backup of it)?

Thanks again so much for your help. I'm very grateful!

Quixotic1