Okay figured it out here is ATV2000 update process (thanks to kdgteam), also may be different on other models but reset is on left hand bottom of ATV2000 not at the back so unplug power, hold reset,then plug in power to get to recovery menu.
1) Install 2.2 Froyo OS
2) Install the 512F.zip within the 20110907SPI.zip file this will bring you to UBOOT 1.3.5 and Recovery 1.2.9
3) Rename the update_spi20111028.zip as update.zip then install and this will bring you to UBOOT 1.3.6 and Recovery 1.3.0 this will also force the player into recovery mode at every boot but this is part of the process temporarily.
4) Download update20111028.zip and rename as update.img
the file extension change is important otherwise it wont see the update. In the recovery menu select apply update then select the update.img file on your SDcard and it will install and go back to normal boot mode.
Android 2.3 is running on it after that.
Some info about the 2.3 build
* No market support built in.
* Apk of Android 2.3 market here
does not work.
* Youtube 2.2.16 apk works fine.
* Seems a bit snappier overall.
* Still no idea how Samba support is meant to work, PDF mentions it but video player still does not see any Samba shares.
* Better control panel settings some of the minor issues from 2.2 have been addressed.
* Flash is still at 10.2 but Geniatech Android 2.3 PDF specifically mentions to not mess with their version otherwise you will break Flash altogether.