Thread: General Camera quality?
View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
dishe
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

So I'm currently borrowing an Ultra for the day from a friend who is unhappy with boost reception.

Took a few sample pictures, and I gotta admit that the coloring seems off. Too much yellow saturation, even with adjusting white balance. I tried it side by side with the optimus, and tried to match the same settings (sunlight, cloudy, tungsten, auto, etc) and every single time the picture came out more washed out and yellow than the Optimus.
Very sad- however when using the flash on something up close, it actually took rather decent shots (such as the one above). So, this leads me to believe that the software controlling the camera seems to have been calibrated to use the color of the flash light. Perhaps when not using that color light, everything is shifted slightly?
Also interesting to note that in my test Skype call today, the camera performed splendidly! Very decent quality for a lower end handset, and colors that appear more accurate than the camera app. So, I'm wondering if the quality can be improved with a software fix, future update, or perhaps just resorting to a third party photo app?