View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
onyx
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Google Ion aka HTC Magic Baseband Version: 62.50SJ.20.17U_2.22.28.25 Kernel Version: 2.6.37.1-cyano
Carrier: Not Provided

Unhappy My conclusions

While Josh's assertions seem definite, I think they are wrong. My final assessments (as of now) are the following -- please correct where / if I am mistaken.

• 3G (or 4G) will not be possible on either the ST18a or ST18i. It requires 1700MHz and 2100MHz, and then T-Mobile needs to allow phone compatibility. (Ref: hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_USA#3G_upgrade)
  • If the phone is allowed to roam onto AT&T (this is tower-to-tower dependent), it will only get 2G, even if the tower is capable of 3G on non-1700/2100 frequencies. The restriction on speed is based on the roaming agreement between T-Mobile and AT&T.
  • The last (and possibly only) Xperia that had 1700MHz was the X10. I do not know if that phone was able to get 3G on T-Mobile.

Some speculation for future -- if/when AT&T acquires T-Mobile bandwidth allocation over the various frequencies may be modified. Maybe the only good news is for T-Mobile customers is for those who buy the Xperia Arc ST18a. (Ref: hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merger_of_AT%26T_and_T-Mobile_USA#Frequencies)
Last edited by onyx; November 21st, 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: English grammar