View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
darrin2520

Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by brd View Post
thanks for the reply and info darrin. the terminal emulator i use is the one by Jack Palevich. I see from the help file that it uses GNU bash 4.1.0(4), so is the Android Terminal Emulator you say uses Bourne the google product? I read online that people didn't have much success with that one so I stayed away from it. I also downloaded the Better Terminal which uses ash.

I suppose i prolly dont need the fancier shell you referenced, as I sitll don't really know what the capabilities of the two emulators I have now are. As I said, still a command line nob, any books/guides/websites you can recommend?
No I am using the Android Terminal Emulator. The shell and the terminal emulator are two different things actually. Under settings you can tell the emulator to use different shells. Anyway, it sounds like you have the "good" shell already. I know that I got it when I installed Sholes, but lost it when I updated to Bugless Beast, so I had to hack it back in there.

I can give you several links to some lists and references, but these are all for full-on linux. I am not currently aware of that are specific to android. Here is a pretty good introduction:

Linux Online - Getting Started with Linux - Lesson 6 (2)

The real power in a shell, particularly bash, is scripting. I am just not sure how useful it would be in this phone and how much functionality it would have.

If you have access to Linux I can give you some really good links that cover the bash shell.

Hope this helps. Have fun.