Originally Posted by Rob
As requested by hundreds of you, I drafted up an E-Mail voicing your concerns and frustrations, E-Mailed it directly to my contacts at Verizon Wireless, and called them directly. They escalated the issue and got back to me with an answer, but one that you're probably not going to love.
I can provide the official statement tonight or tomorrow, but essentially it boils down to what we already know:
- The Galaxy Nexus is currently undergoing rigorous testing and announcing a tentative release date that may change would be a disservice to their customers
- The Galaxy Nexus WILL be released BEFORE the end of the year
I talked to them on the phone for about 30 minutes. I expressed the specific concerns. I even relayed some of the tough stuff that I don't personally agree with... the bottom line is they won't offer a launch date until they're ready. They aren't ready. When they are, they will let us know, and they'll be ready before the year is over.
My questions to you:
- If you know the G-Nex will be out by year's end, why is the specific date between now and then crucially important?
- If Verizon announced a release date, testing hit a hiccup and the launch was delayed, would you be more angry than if they simply told you "by the end of the year"?
- Does this suffice or would you ask that I do more on behalf of our community?
I can post my complete letter here along with Verizon's Official Response once I have it. I've debated publishing this on Phandroid, along with an objective narrative that discusses the opinion of both sides, to provide a more public/visible way to have your voices heard. But in many ways that could be stirring the pot when we've already got our answer.
That being said, I haven't ruled it out as I know many people here want a venue to express their personal feelings/concerns/frustrations to Verizon. I suppose it depends on the content and tone of the response I get to this update.
NOTE: I've locked this thread temporarily to ensure it's visibility as I seek the opinions/replies of everyone involved!
firstly, i would like to thank you for taking the time to reach out to VZ on our behalf. i have always loved this site, but knowing the owner would do something like that for us solidifies at as the best android related forum on the web.
while i understand VZ's lack of an internal release date prevents them from announcing one to us, i think that the majority of the posters in this thread would be happy with them simply releasing some information. just let us know what is going on. why continue to let these rumors swirl when they could clear them up?
to answer your 3 questions:
1. it is crucially important so that people with damaged/dieing phones can make a decision. i was in this boat and the lack of information is why i am now renting a razr. i also feel that is is also important because thousands of their customers have asked for it. we pay their bills, show us a little respect.
2. announce a date! if problems arise, keep us updated. once again, the lack of information here is the main cause of frustration. i would much prefer a date that gets delayed with an explanation to keeping us all in the dark.
3. with the work you have put in and the response they provided, i don't think there is anything more to be done. when you are getting the same canned responses we are with the respect and knowledge that comes with owning an android enthusiast site, there isn't much hope for the one thing we all want. INFORMATION!