View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:59 PM   #40 (permalink)
alostpacket
Over Macho Grande?
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): GlassXE, MotoX, N5, N4, N7'12, GNex, N1, SGT10.1, Revue, Xoom, Eris, OG Droid
Carrier: TMO

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB-DC View Post
I took the plunge and installed PocketPermissions, now that I've rooted my phone and am trying to squeeze out performance improvements. The list of apps with "start at boot" alone is worth the 99c, as was the list of users of the "read system logs" privilege (didn't know I'd installed so many -- though most are by indie devs who want to fix compatibility problems).

I would only ask for a couple of small enhancements:
* Can you make the app movable to SD? It doesn't seem to have any functions that would preclude it.
* When I read about a permission and hit the Back button, I'm back at the top of the list. Any chance you could return me to where I came from?

I'll post a 5-star rating ASAP. It's a shame the app doesn't have more downloads -- especially among rooters. Just because you know the permissions, doesn't mean you didn't let something slip past you when you were anxious to start angering those birds.

Thanks RobertB-DC -- these are quite the compliments, and are much appreciated Seriously -- it's really great to hear stuff like this.

As for your suggestions:

Quote:
* Can you make the app movable to SD? It doesn't seem to have any functions that would preclude it.
Technically it is movable to the SD, but the Android OS thinks it isn't because it targets Android 1.6. Android did not add the "move to SD" function natively until 2.2. However, with an outside app, or just a little ADB, you can certainly move it to the SD if you wish.

If you've rooted your device, I'm guessing you might know some adb commands.

Code:

C:\your_folder_for_android_SDK\platform_tools> ADB Shell
This will start the SDK command shell running. (you will probably see a dollar sign prompt $ next instead of the windows "greater than >"

Then enter the command:
Code:

$ pm setInstallLocation 2
This was from a helpful post in our Nexus One forums but should work on any android phone. You will now be able to move almost any app to the SD, (unless the dev specifically codes it to disallow).

Link: The Nexus One and it's limited internal memory

Quote:
* When I read about a permission and hit the Back button, I'm back at the top of the list. Any chance you could return me to where I came from?
Yes! This will probably come after the tablet version is finished though, so hopefully just before the holidays.

Thanks again
Last edited by alostpacket; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:04 PM.