View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
teddyearp
A guide with guides

Device(s): HTC® HTC6525LVW, Samsung® SCH-I515 & Motorola® XT907
Carrier: Verizon

I just want to point out a couple more things, if I may. First, I would be wary of using any file that is designed for the GSM version of this phone, i.e. the CWRecovery. In my past experience with other phones there can be just enough differences to make a disaster sometimes occur.

Second, there are a couple of typos here and there. In the OP, in one of the 'code' sections you left out one of the 'r's in Superuser.apk, so those who do come along and just copy/paste those commands will have trouble. Also, in Gyannea's post above where the text was copied from the 'readme.txt' file in the manual .zip file, we are told to adb push su to /system/bin and Superuser.apk to /system/app, but then the chmod 0755 is missing the full path (so I added it in red):
Code:
chmod 0755 /system/bin/su
chmod 0755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
I know this is fixed in the OP, but it's the little things like that that usually trip people up. Plus with the A855 we used to 'mkdir /system/xbin' and put the su and busybox binaries in there, just for kicks.

And speaking of busybox, I think it would be good if we, as this thread matures, include installing that right in the same 'breath', shall we say, as rooting. The following is somewhat shortened, but after pushing su, busybox, and Superuser.apk, we could then just drop to adb shell in one command, do the other chmod commands listed above without 'adb shell' at the beginning and then add this:
Code:
cd /system/xbin (or cd /system/bin)
chmod 0755 busybox
busybox --install .
I know I'm going on too much, but with the A855 we used 'chmod 6755' for su, don't know if this makes that big a difference and finally, in the 'resources' file in the OP, the fastboot file for windows is named pretty much that, "fastboot-windows.exe" so if we issue the command, "fastboot oem unlock" our windows machines will give a "file (or command) not found" error.

OK, I'm done with my dribble, I hope this isn't taken that I am stepping on anyone's toes.

Thanks
Last edited by teddyearp; December 2nd, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
scary alien (December 2nd, 2011), Travillion (December 6th, 2011)