View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
irishjoeyo
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
Wow, that is just so wrong.

Let me put it to you this way. Would you rather have a $200 14MP point and shoot, or a $1000 10MP DigitalSLR? There's a reason that one camera costs over 5X as much even though it's less MP.

The single most important aspect of a camera is the lens glass, followed by the sensor size (not megapixel size, but physical size). Google publically stated they selected 5MP for two reasons:
1. Zero shutter lag requires faster processing, so they went with a smaller size to ensure that there wouldn't be any lag.
2. Low light performance is far superior. Since the physical size of the 8MP and 5MP sensor are the same, the larger sensors on the 5MP CCD allow more light to be captured quicker.

I'm not going to go into obsessive detail, but for most pictures, the 5MP sensor should be fine. BTW, the same criticism was levied against the iPhone4 when it came out, and that was widely regarded to have one of the best cell phone cameras around.
Actually, you're wrong. You're comparing a non-SLR camera to an SLR camera, which is apples to oranges. We're talking phone cameras, here, so make sure you're on the same page before you make egregious mistakes in your criticisms.

Low-light and shutter lag do not affect image resolution and image resolution is the single most important aspect of image quality. While both of those features do matter, they do not affect image resolution, and that is my point.

If low-light capabilities and shutter lag are more important to you than resolution, then that is your choice. I didn't say and I'm not saying that megapixels should be YOUR most important feature.