View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
irishjoeyo
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandroidfan View Post
Well, if you understand that, what makes you think 8MP sensor will take better low light pictures than 5MP sensor? Assuming lens spec is similar (this is big assumption), 5MP sensor will take better picture because signal to noise ratio is better due to large pixel receiving more light.

I can't answer Dinc vs Gnex question because there are other factors involved like lens, firmware. But if Gnex had 8MP sensor with everything else being the same, 8MP will definitely do worse in low light.
My question was regarding taking a picture in a well-lit environment. I don't dispute the fact that the GNex's camera would likely take a better picture in low-light. However, that is another matter. How well-illuminated the image appears to be is different than the resolution of the picture. My point is that resolution, at least for me and also for most people I've talked to, is the most important feature with respect to image quality.

If all you did was exchange the sensor in the GNex's camera for a different sensor that was appropriately sized for 8MP, and you left everything else about the camera the same, then it would take better pictures - at all light levels - than it currently does. Is that not true?