View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
crankerchick

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus Motorola Xoom HTC Rezound Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickberry View Post
Agreed. Would be nice to be able to do a comparison for those that DO value the camera in their smartphones, possibly in the same way that dpreview does for other cameras, with some objectivity. Unfortunately I couldn't, and I was only just beginning to look into it. You are right, I should take more pictures with both and see, but I guess it will still end up attached to a wall, dang it.
This is highly subjective, but I do have a friend who is just getting into dSLR finally, but has become obsessed with camera quality on smartphones since his son was born, because he's always snapping photos of him (he's 5 now). He cares very much about the quality of the camera on the phone and that is actually like his main requirement in a phone, that it be one of the best at snapping photos.

Anyway, he's a bit of a phone whore and has been through quite a few between him and his wife. Most recently, he's had the incredible and a test drive of the iphone 4s. He liked the camera on the iphone, but disliked pretty much everything else. I was letting him play with my Rezound and showing him sample photos and he immediately fell in love. 3 days later, he had the rezound and feels that it takes very good pics, comparable to the iphone 4s in general, and better in low light. Now the Nexus is out and we are both looking at sample pics and are disappointed. The difference is, he won't get the nexus because of the camera, whereas the camera is less important to me, so I'm still on the fence.

i agree some more technical reviews would be nice, but there's an anectodal "my friend said" example for you.

For what its worth, the photos on the Nexus seem inferior to the sgsII, iphone and rezound and in some instances even the razr from the samples i've seen. I'm just not impressed, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to crankerchick For This Useful Post:
brickberry (December 16th, 2011)