View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
P M

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc120 View Post
I'll post this to the "known issues and solutions" thread, but here goes:

- for those of you who watch movies/videos in a dark environment, you may notice blue/blocky artifacts in dark parts of the video
- to work around this, download the free app named screen adjuster
- optimal contrast (lowest contrast that blocks go away) for 100% brightness is a contrast of ~7%. Could go a little lower, but then the blockiness starts to manifest

Anyway, for anyone like me that noticed this, try out this free app. I am more than happy to use this workaround and keep my Nexus than go to a locked down device.

I may still file a bug with Google/Samsung on this. Seems like it MIGHT be fixable in software - even if it's just a built in way in ICS to adjust contrast.
cool! glad you found something that fixes the symptom! tried it out and noticed no blueness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4rd View Post
Hmm, I actually couldn't see what OP was talking about in the sample vid. Even in a dark room, his hair looked totally black to me regardless of brightness setting. No blue hues to be found . My G-Nex is totally stock at the moment too. I've passed several color blindness tests too, so it's not that .

I'm glad you found a fix for your problem though.
it's kinda subtle and you'll only see it if you really look for it. in camera-land, this is like pixel peeping to see how effective the sensor is at producing true black and not having a lot of noise.

I would kinda think that this is a minor flaw within pentile compared to true super amoled plus screens and retina displays.

see this:

Super AMOLED Plus vs Super AMOLED vs Retina Display

and this:

Galaxy S II and Galaxy S screens compared at the subpixel level (video) -- Engadget

if you look at the macro shots you can see that the blue sub-pixel actually appears to take a larger surface area than red/green, this could account for the blueness we are seeing.