View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blue1k
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S2, OLD: DesireHD, DesireZ, Desire, GalaxyS, X10, Fascinate, N1, Milestone, Dream, Magic, G1
Carrier: Not Provided

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Roms and Themes

There are a few roms to choose from and I'm not here to tell you which is best. You can decide for yourself. I will however recommend a few.

* See below how to flash

ROM: The operating system of your device
KERNEL: The central component of most operating systems. Its responsibilities include managing the system’s resources (the communication between hardware and software components. Kernels can make a big difference to battery life, speed, and smoothness of the interface

1. Mr. X's Rooted Telus Rom with CIQ removed *Updated Feb 16/12
Rom Features: Stock rom with speed and battery life mods. CIQ framework removed
Kernel: Stock Telus Rooted Kernel with CIQ killed
Battery Life: Excellent (best for me out any rom)

2. Beast Mod v4.x
Rom Features: T-Mobile Rom with many modifications including speed hacks, screen responsiveness, animations, 5-icon app drawer, smaller font, and look (Ice Cream Sandwich theme)
Kernel: Mr. X Synergy Kernel
Battery Life: Excellent (not as good as Mr. X's rom but still damn good)
*wait for the next version of beastmod to be released. 4.1 and 4.2 have issues right now.

Themes (not for stock rom). You must be using a rooted rom such as the 2 I mentioned above

1. Ice Cream Sandwich Theme (so awesome) by qasimzia512 of XDA <the man is a theming god!

*HOLD off installing this theme. There is still an issue with the Telus Dialer in Mr. X's Telus rom.

Ice Cream Sandwich Complete Theme
Telus Mr. X Rom Users need the following (see his thread):
2.1 Theme for all roms
Telus Dialer Fix 2

Screenshot:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to flash a custom ROM (non-Odin roms)

*Please be aware that flashing a custom rom means you will need to wipe your data which includes your account setup, text message history contacts, and apps. It will NOT erase photos and videos.

* I highly recommend you do a nandroid backup first by going into BACKUP/RESTORE and selecting Backup (backup to internal if you don't have an SD card)

Backup your SMS messages: Use SMS backup and restore
Backup your apps: Titanium Backup (free)

*to backup accounts: Use Titanium to backup ACCOUNTS and ACCOUNTS & Sync Settings, Bluetooth Pairings, Contacts Storage (unless you are using gmail for saving your contacts. If so then don't back this up)

IN recovery, VOLUME keys are navigation and POWER button is select.

Step 1: Download the rom zip file using your computer and copy to somewhere on your phone. Say a folder named ROM on your SDcard

Step 2: Reboot into recovery (see above how to do this)

Step 3: In recovery go to WIPE/DATA FACTORY RESET

Step 4: Go back to the main menu and select WIPE CACHE PARTITION

Step 5: Go back to the main menu and select INSTALL ZIP from SDCARD
INTERNAL SD means phone memory in case you copied the zip to a
phone folder. Choose your rom.zip

Step 6: Let it flash, and then go back to main menu and choose ADVANCED
Then choose WIPE DALVIK CACHE and then FIX PERMISSIONS

Step 7: Go back to the main menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM

Please allow the phone to fully boot (it may take some time). Don't touch the phone for a few minutes after boot. Let it settle and then reboot. THEN set up your phone.

*If your flash went bad because of a mistake or corrupted file you can always boot back into recovery and restore your backup.

Last edited by Blue1k; March 12th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blue1k For This Useful Post:
creesh (December 22nd, 2011), ls1geezer (February 2nd, 2012), menonro (January 15th, 2012), Turds (December 24th, 2012)