View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
UKCatFan

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrasta View Post
Bought this for my daughter for christmas. Has anyone used google voice on it yet? Shes still a bit young for an actual cell phone but Im considering setting her up with a google voice number for texting and learning phone use with mom/dad/family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog709 View Post
Interested in why you think if she's not old enough for a cell phone, that she's old enough for gps/wifi/email/full internet device? Not only is there much more complication in google voice as opposed to a simple cell phone but there's more risk for young kids with internet access etc.

BTW, I have not actually used google voice...it looks too complicated for me! I use a simple dumb cell phone.
We bought one for our daughter for the same reason. She is 10 and has no need for a cell phone. We monitor everything our kids do on the Internet, so that is no issue. We do not feel that a 10 yo needs a cell phone that leaves the house all the time after all the stories of lost/stolen phones we have heard over the years (this is our youngest). This thing will stay at home unless she is with us. You just cannot expect a kid that age to comprehend the financial responsibility of a phone. They do not really understand that a lost phone can cost a lot to replace.
The Following User Says Thank You to UKCatFan For This Useful Post:
BigDaddyDeon (March 12th, 2012)