View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
scary alien
not really so scary
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 14,091 Times in 6,883 Posts
Default How to install the adb & fastboot USB drivers (MS/Windows users only)

Note: this step is not necessary for Mac or Linux users since adb and fastboot seem to connect right out of the box for those platforms.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Windows uses need to install special USB drivers in order to establish USB connectivity with the adb and fastboot utilities.

There are several options for doing so and I'll list them in the order in which I've heard folks indicate their success:

1. PDAnet drivers

If prompted, specify "Samsung" as your device manufacturer; you can also un-install PdaNet itself afterwards, but leave the USB drivers intalled.

2. ADB/FB Driver Naked Samsung Driver 1.7 [ADB/FB Driver] Naked Samsung Driver 1.7 - xda-developers

This driver worked very well for me on my Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) system. Here are some detailed notes that I took when I installed this driver on my system (click the "Show" button below to expand the details):

3. Other drivers

Still having USB connectivity issues after having tried the drivers above? Try a different USB port on your computer and/or a different USB cable (sometimes its NOT the software ).
Last edited by scary alien; December 30th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
darkcyber (March 6th, 2012), ElectroM (January 14th, 2012), GalaxyNexus (April 11th, 2012), kool kat2 (February 17th, 2012), meanmon13 (July 21st, 2012), NSutherl (November 8th, 2012), shaddyyy (June 30th, 2012), trophynuts (January 4th, 2012), VoidedSaint (February 18th, 2012), WormDoes (February 5th, 2012)