View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gmash
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaalson View Post
Okay, I need your help. I have a Motorola Triumph, coming from Virgin Mobile. I pay $45 a month for 1200 minutes and unlimited text and data. A $10 increase for unlimited everything with Cricket is certainly worth considering.

With the Motorola Triumph, I thought I was getting a good phone. It is actually a nice phone, and there have been many notable developers who have helped make it better. Here's my gist: Motorola has not rolled out an update for this phone for about 6 months. This phone shipped with problems.

My question is, is it worth considering switching to Cricket and getting the Huawei Mercury? Please explain in detail why or why not.
This is a hard question to answer. I guess it all depends on what is most important to you. First of all Cricket doesn't really have unlimited data, they only give you 1GB before they start throttling. VM I think doesn't throttle until 2 or 2.5GB, so that's something to consider.
I used to follow the Triumph forum quite a bit, so I am aware of the issues with it. In my opinion, the Mercury is the superior phone. I haven't seen any of the hardware defects that affected the Triumph, and the stock ROM is very stable. On the other hand, as far as I know, there are no devs actively working on the Mercury, so if custom ROMs are important to you, you might want to hold off and see if a dev community develops for this phone.
If you are happy with the Triumph and VM, is the Mercury enough of an upgrade to consider switching? I can't answer that for you, but I will say I really like my Mercury, and have been very happy with it so far. Hope this helps a little, and best of luck with whatever you decide. Maybe some other people will have some thoughts to add?