View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM   #65 (permalink)
drexappeal

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffy1 View Post
Yes I have taken note that there are functionality issues with other than a razr. I assume, as many others on here have, that there will be an update to address those issues at some point.

Regarding AutoCAD on android, Autodesk has put out an app for both iPad and android that is similar to their drawing viewer software except that it allows some AutoCAD utility such as drawing lines, etc. and being able to measure objects. I use it mostly on return visits to a site I have worked on (I'm a land surveyor) to verify that the mapping has been drawn correctly and nothing is missing. I occasionally add objects or notes which I can then download back at the office to make corrections. Not real useful on the phone, but very useful on the iPad and surely on an android tablet as well.

Having said all that, 90% of the time I would be using whatever I get (true tablet or this lapdock) to surf, read ebooks, or read/answer email. The plus for the lapdock (in my mind) is that I can have a 3G tablet-like experience without having to pay for another data line. It's not as "elegant" as a tablet, but it gets me that other piece of the puzzle -- cell connection without paying for another line.

Incidentally I dropped by a local Verizon store today and they had the 100 on display. It is the first time I had seen one in person. Pretty neat stuff. I liked the keyboard feel, and the screen looks just like a netbook.

Something else that I like vs. the iPad is the full-sized USB ports. For my needs, this is a great plus.

If I go the tablet route, I'll be paying around $500 without cell connection. With the lapdock 500 pro I'll shell out $300 (at Verizon) plus another $50 for the Photon (Best Buy and Amazon price), and have a larger screen than the tablets.

The big question: will I regret this choice and wish I had just bought the tablet in the first place???. That's the discussion I am interested in. Thanks for any opinions, good or bad.
Okay, I think I have a better idea of what you're trying to do as far as deciding between the lapdock vs. tablet. Out in the field, I think a tablet that allows for writing notes on the electronic copies of plans (via autoCAD related app) is actually ideal because it would be more portable, touch enabled (to zoom in and out). Downside is that, unless you root to gain hotspot capability (which we don't recommend or condone here), you're looking at a $29.99 per month fee to add the "hot spot" functionality on the Photon. It beats any of the tablet plans around and doesn't hold you captive to whatever limitations are on any of the tablet plans (via Sprint, Verizon, or any other provider that offers tablets w/ 3G/4g connectivity).

That said, I believe the lapdock 500 would have more advantages for the 90% range of activities you'd have, especially composing emails. My Dad is actually an architect, but he's old school, so autoCAD is something I know of and heard of for modern architecture, but I'm more familiar with him having to go visually inspect work being done in the field and have full blown hand sketched plans that he'd carry around. If he were tech savvy, I would absolutely get him BOTH a tablet and a lapdock 500. I'd tell him to take his tablet with him when he goes walking through a job site because it'll be portable, he can open up plans, zoom into particular parts of the building he's inspecting for proper measurements, etc...Then, if he has any notes, just carry the accompanying stylus that'll allow him to draw notes on the electronic copy of the plans, and save as a new document on the tablet. Then after going over all his inspections, once he gets back to his car, I'd explain that he should just connect the tablet and Photon to the lapdock 500 via USB connector, identify the tablet as a USB drive, and send the notes to whoever he'd need to send to by attaching the files from the tablet.

That's just how I'd imagine it would be ideal to have both. With the lapdock 500, carrying that thing around a job site and actually having to open it to view plans, and then also having to use a small mouse pad to zoom in and out (rather than a simple pinch to zoom in and out on a tablet or ipad)...just seems more cumbersome for that type of puprose.

I have both a tablet and a Lapdock 100. And I have specific needs and purposeful uses of both. All the lapdock 100 really replaced for me was having to bring my laptop with me anytime I travel. It's much more portable and easier to use, simply because of it's capability of using the phone's data connectivity. My laptop has now become my dedicated PC at home and I'll never really have to take it on the road with me anywhere. The Tablet, I use at work. It's replaced having to use scrap paper to jot down notes during meetings. It's also enabled me to do research while in a meeting, without having to be disruptive with a keyboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Boffy1 (February 2nd, 2012)