View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
EarlyMon
The PearlyMon

Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 57,325 Times in 23,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
A couple things to consider/discuss.

One, widgets make Android app utilization less than Apple. I don't need to go into a weather app to see basic weather info, or my calendar, etc. So that is one thing that the apple folks can point out as skewing the numbers slightly, since they need to use apps more often (although they have to admit Android presents info quicker in order to make this argument )
Respectfully, not sure I can agree. Widgets are simply a view into a running app. You can be in an app, working it directly, and get a pop-up in Android saying that an app you might not have realized you were running has crashed and then presented with a dialog to force close or re-open.

Quote:
Second, multi-tasking is handled differently between Android and iOS. I am not 100% up to date exactly how iOS 4.0+ handles multi-tasking. Would that affect how we should look at these numbers. I am wondering if the app closures per launch is even comparable. If an app crashed once a week, on android, that could theoretically be a 1-1 rate, if the app had been running the entire time. If iOS is psuedo-multitasking, and still closing the app down and restarting when it is called, there would be a lot more launches compared to android.
Android being Linux employs preemptive multitasking (think Windows 7), iOS is cooperative multitasking (think Windows 95).

To my way of thinking, even if what you suggest is true, this doesn't absolve iOS, your logic indicts it further, I think. See my previous post on the Apple mantras not being accurate.

All that matters is, is the chart fair, and I think that was your point.

Seems to me that your ideas for explanations, if true, don't exonerate iOS here.

In for a penny, in for a pound in the ownership experience. From the Forbes article -

Quote:
However, Android, it should be noted, allows developers to push updates faster than Apple. With Android developers can just send an update to its code, which can show up almost in real-time. But for iOS it can takes days or a week for an update to show up. That means there can be more app crashes while those updates are waiting to happen. Whereas with Android, presumably if developers know there’s a bug they can immediately fix it.
An interesting point indeed.

So regardless if the cause is the iOS architecture or not, the cause is the cause and the customer choice is the customer choice.

With Android, you're probably choosing a lower probability of app crashes and perhaps a higher probability of rapid fixes when they occur.
Last edited by EarlyMon; February 3rd, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
AntimonyER (February 3rd, 2012)