View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #985 (permalink)
sdrawkcab25

Device(s): Rooted Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Rooted HTC Incredible, Stock 4G Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 (32GB)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoolius View Post
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and new to this topic. I have an unrooted DInc running 2.3.4 that is experiencing the common "low memory" bug and it has gotten to the point of- at best a pain to use and at worst unusable without constant force closes. I've done the usual deleting of apps and clearing data & caches to no avail. It seems the problem stems from the HTC/Verizon bloatware on the phone. I have no cares about factory warranty since the phone is almost 2 years old. The idea of gaining root and clearing out the gunk that is causing me these issues is appealing. I am truly a noob when it comes to anything like this, so the idea of going in and altering the programing is a little scary. It is my only phone and I cannot afford to brick it and be without a phone until im eligible for a new phone.

So my question is this. Is this downgrading and rooting something a complete phone novice should attempt? It seems like far more advanced users have run into problems. I may not be adept enought to troubleshoot my mistakes. I guess I just need a pep talk that this is not too dificult a process and that it shouldn't brick my phone. I just don't think I can deal with what I have until May (Eligible for new phone). Thanks.
Honestly, as long as you follow the steps outlined EXACTLY, do not skim through them or just read the first couple words of the sentence and assume you know what is coming next, you won't have any problems.

The low memory issue really has nothing to do with the "bloatware". It's the apps that you use that cause the issue as they are the ones that fill up the cache and cause the error/message. However there is a permanent fix that you can apply once you are rooted:

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/446753-fix-low-space-sense-roms-force-closes-aosp-roms.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdrawkcab25 For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (February 11th, 2012), scotty85 (February 11th, 2012)