View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
CenturyB1974

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Smile Same for me !!!!

I had exactly the same issue, thanks for your help, followed your advice and got me working within 5 mins. Awesome post dude. cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxme View Post
What I mean by "no home screen" is simply a blank screen. No green phone icon, App list icon, or contacts icon along the bottom. No icons on the desktop. Not even the background wallpaper. Nothing except the notification bar at the top. Made it impossible to make calls, send texts, or run applications.

If you looks at the 2.2 features list you posted it says "- Profiles Added profiles feature that provides three customizable sets of home screens to give you access to the apps, shortcuts, and widgets you want, when you need them. " I suspect something in that new functionality conflicted with my old 2.1 based settings. Maybe it didn't like my background wallpaper of my kids. :-) I have not rooted the phone or done anything unusual. (I do plan on writing apps and other playing around, have already downloaded the Android SDK, but have not had the time to actually do anything to the phone. Have only had the phone for just over a month.)

The Motorola support website was able to tell me how to hard reset the Motorola Defy (after seeing the Android ! icon press the middle of the volume control to get the reset menu) and the phone is back to factory settings. Annoying to have to re-set it up but at least it is working again and nothing significant was lost. It's a good reminder to always have everything on the phone backed up.

My biggest concern is other Motorola Defy users. If my "vanilla" setup hit this problem many other Defy users will too. There are similar reports on the Motorola support site. Less technical users will be completely lost when they hit this problem. My wife would have gone ballistic if I had upgraded her phone (as I was planning to do) and had to factory reset it. She will probably be stuck on 2.1 for the life of the phone.