View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #266 (permalink)
BlueBiker

Device(s): Note 3; formerly Rezound, Droid Charge, and OG Droid
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,437 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc120 View Post
This pisses me off. It really does. Verizon and Samsung are claiming there is nothing wrong. This clearly shows there is a hardware flaw which they fixed and are just trying to pawn off the ****ty screen to people who they hope won't know any better.
Not to excuse them or anything, but rolling component changes aren't unusual in consumer devices. For example, the Dinc had its display changed partway through the model run. I think that's one reason the manufacturers sometimes prefer to keep their public specs slightly ambiguous -- to keep their options open in case they can find a better or cheaper part available later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antart View Post
I can't reproduce the problem in VLC 1.1.13 on my Dell G2410t, DVI, monitor brightness 75%, contrast 50%, Fedora 16.
I think the G2410t is a 6-bit monitor, so it may not be able to reproduce the smoother gradients that an 8-bit could.

Quote:
Sorry! I was reading "ROM" as in a read only memory. Like you had two nexuses and one was newer and had a different/newer eeprom or something (indicating a fixed firmware for the video -> screen) or something.
Well that is where it came from, and yeah it's weird to consider writing to a "read-only" device. Then again, I think some non-maskable interrupts have been maskable almost since the first PCs.

Quote:
My rant about the ROM was when I was thinking it was a physical hardware ROM that you had noticed was different between the two phones, not a custom software OS ROM
Same difference. Even if it were a hardware ROM, the only characteristic that matters would be the data on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhworph View Post
How can it be a hardware issue, if software adjustments can change the artifacts appearance? Say if a video player can adjust the contrast, gamma, brightness, and saturation and make it look just like it does on a laptop, then how can it be a hardware issue?
Well there's actually almost no difference between hardware and software these days, because so many hardware devices actually have their own embedded CPUs running firmware that the user never sees. In particular, Pentile display panels have some sophisticated (or ugly, depending on how you look at it) image processing that decides how to show original RGB images on the actual RGBG or RGBW display.

Meaning, it's entirely possible that the exact same display panel hardware could show still or video images differently depending on what firmware has been loaded onto it (either originally or through some update method).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueBiker For This Useful Post:
dhworph (February 18th, 2012), jbdan (February 18th, 2012)