Originally Posted by mahers
Any ideas, tips, or suggestions here? I need my root!
I was in almost the same boat. I started with 605 rooted, and the OTA update wouldn't apply. So I did:
- SBF back to 602
- OTA to 605
- ran Pete's root tools to get root
- ran OTA Rootkeeper to save my root
- OTA to 621
I attempted to restore root with Rootkeeper, but it failed! Turns out my problem was that I had root previously, and that gums up the process. So I was on 621 with no root - just like you, except I did have a backup of my su program in /system/su-backup created by Rootkeeper. I was able to recover from this using Z4 1.3. I chose to "temporary root", which didn't seem to do anything, but when I "adb shell" into the phone I was able to execute /system/su-backup and it gave me a root (#) prompt. From there I just copied /system/su-backup to /system/xbin/su, and my problem was fixed.
What I suggest you try:
1. get a copy of the su binary, and the Superuser.apk
2. copy them to your sd card
3. run Z4 and choose temporary root
4. once z4 runs, do "adb shell"
5. in the shell ($ prompt) execute "/sdcard/su" to get a root prompt (#)
6. run the following command in the root prompt:
- cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin/su
- install /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
- chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
- /system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin/
- ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su
Best of luck!