View Single Post
Old February 29th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
spyder550
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blrfl View Post
Actually, it isn't.

Without going into the gory details, suffice it to say that Android will keep an idle application around until the memory it occupies is needed for something else. The OS gives applications a chance to provide a blob of state information when they're no longer visible, and that blob is given back to the application when it returns to the foreground. Not all apps take advantage of this mechanism, but I have many that do (including OI Notepad) and restore their state just fine after days or even weeks in the freezer.

--Mark
thanks for an excellent response, mark. as you pointed out, the problem is not restoring the context when the app is switched back. that really sucks. i am an architect and developer in the enterprise world. one of the culture shocks i had when i looked at Android was the complete lack of quality (of architecture, usability, robustness, etc) of the apps!

i regret that i hadn't posted this issue sooner; i had to return Droid 4 as i was closing in on the end of trial period. the problem was a deal breaker since i do a lot of note taking throughout the day (in the same file). another biggie was lack of Outlook Contacts syncing. i tried Deja Office/Companion Link; it was a joke. would you recommend an app that works with Outlook (storing contacts locally)?

i could work with OI Note since you mentioned that it restores application state when restored. now, if i can find that Outlook Contacts app...!!

thanks again.

henry.