View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8682 (permalink)
tluley51

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus LTE, MIUI'ed Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Another take on the education posts I have been seeing while lurking...(I'll keep it short)

It took me 5 years to complete my Bachelor's degree in Information Systems because I hated THE school I was in (not school in general, but for financial reasons, I couldn't really transfer till last semester). Many of my friend that also graduated from this school hated this particular school as well. I learned nothing. Literally, I did not learn a damn thing. Where I am currently GOING to be working (hopefully starting in 2 weeks) 3 or 4 people also went to the same college and said the same thing. They learned nothing in college, got their degree, and learned everything while on the job and learned more within the first month of work then they did the 4 years they were at the college.

I am sure not all schools are like this (the school that I actually got my degree from was better, but I only went there 1 semester so it is hard to say) but I would take caution in the selection of school.

Oh and to add, my degree was CIS and when I went to that particular school and it was an Institute of Technology yet I still learned nothing. I got my degree from a primarily nursing school and learned more in one semester then I did the entirety of my time at the IT school.
Last edited by tluley51; March 3rd, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tluley51 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 3rd, 2012), jmar (March 4th, 2012), ryancmatchett (March 3rd, 2012)