View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #42 (permalink)
jerofld
Fixing stuff is not easy
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3; Asus Infinity
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,513 Posts
jerofld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslayer95 View Post
Another quick question before i get rooted. I've rooted my previous last 3 galaxy s phones but I've never messed with roms & kernals. Are there certain roms that can be only used with certain kernals
It's a little different than that. Only certain kernels can be used with certain firmware versions. If you're updated to the latest OTA (2.17.651.5 in your about phone > software information), then you can only use ROMs/kernels built around the 651.5 base. Which, only the stock kernel and only two versions of the AnthraX kernels are built around, currently. But if you're on 2.17.651.3 or older, you can flash anything that isn't a 2.17.651.5 base ROM/Kernel. 2.17.651.5 updated a lot of the firmware, improving battery/performance, but then HTC didn't release the source code of the kernel, so programming them is difficult without a source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle View Post
I'm using TWRP 1.2 (whatever the newest one is). If I flash an ICS ROM I can't even get it to boot.

I thought I had a GB ROM (Android HD, I think?) that had a Kernel that allowed OC. Could be wrong though. I'll try to install ICS tomorrow morning following this information.
I am unfamiliar with that ROM. But if you go to About Phone > Software > Software information (I think...it says it gives you info about your kernel. I'm on an ICS ROM right now, so I can't verify what it is exactly). It'll say something about htc-blahblahblahweirdstuffblah. If it says HTC in it, it's the stock kernel. If it says other weirdness, it's a custom kernel.