WARNING! IT WILL WIPE YOUR ENTIRE PHONE WHEN EVERYTHING IS DONE INCLUDING YOUR USB STORAGE.
I don't know why this happens but it does so backup everything beforehand.
1. Download the update.zip
2. Copy the zip file into the USB Storage on the Rugby Smart.
3. Boot the Rugby Smart into Recovery
To enter the Android System Recovery mode, follow these steps:
1. With the phone turned off, press the Power key and Volume Up keys at the same time.
The Samsung logo will appear for a few seconds and then disappear. Continue to press the Power key and Volume Up keys.
2. When the Samsung logo reappears, release the Power key and Volume Up keys then press and hold the MENU key.
3. Continue to press the MENU key for 15-20 seconds, until Recovery mode is launched and the Android System Recovery icon is displayed.
4. Release the MENU key.
5. Press the MENU key again.
6. The following options are displayed:
7. Use the Volume Up/Down keys to scroll up or down, then press the key to make a selection.
- reboot system now: this option turns on your phone.<br />• apply update from sdcard: this option allows you to apply updates from your memory card to your phone.
- wipe data/factory reset: deletes all data from the phone except pictures and videos.
- wipe cache partition: allows you to delete all cache data such as log files.
- install fota: allows you to install over-the-air firmware.
4. Choose the apply update from sdcard
and select the update.zip
file with the home button
5. Now choose reboot system now
and confirm with reboot.
Your Samsung Rugby Smart should have root now.
I used a similar tutorial from forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1317394