View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1276 (permalink)
scotty85
AF Addict
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 6,785 Times in 4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkpod View Post
question, i am considering using this thread...

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

it's the beginnings of your process of getting to 2.2 and then getting s-off.

i want to run this MOD, (located on a link on the thread)
"Convert2Ext4_no_data_limit_normal_dalvik.zip"

so that i can fix the Low Data Notification.
i see in your thread, post 629,

[How To] Root 2.3.4/downgrade and Get S-off

how to put in some code in mac's terminal program. is that step in the rooting process how you actually get from 2.3.4 gingerbread back to 2.2 froyo? yes. the adb commands in a cmd or terminal window are re-writing the misc image of the phone,to trick the RUU into thinking that the phone has older software than what it is. thus allowing it to "upgrade" (downrade to froyo)

questions:

1. it looks like the directions on that thread work to simply gain root, is that correct? (but w/ s-on, right? that means that it's not a "permanent" root, correct?) wich thread? the one here on AF is s-off,permanent root.

2. i downloaded a md5 checker, and the "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc.img" seems to verfiy w/ your numbers, but my "Reflash.dmg," the unrevoked 3.22 seems to be different. is that because i got the mac version?

prolly so. the mac version will have some different files,drivers,etc.

3. does anybody have the mac version's md5 numbers, just in case? i just don't want to mess up this root. (first time rooting)

when i download the mac reflash package on my pc,this is that i get:
Reflash.dmg 281308e1ed17dffd3d64ea68cb674406

not sure if that will be the same as what you got. if it is,you can pretty sure the download is complete and uncompromised. if it is different,i wouldnt say its bad-may just be something about downloading to a pc,not a mac.

3.5 how important is it that i double check the md5 numbers?
its definately a good habit to get into. as sdraw said,its not too big a deal in this particular situation. if youre flashing something like an hboot,radio,or a file that contains both(like an RUU) id place checking the numbers pretty high on the importance list

4. how "important" is it that i get s-off? will i notice a difference or anything like that? it's my first time rooting, period, so maybe i don't need to try this step yet?

i also feel s-off is well worth the effort,and of pretty high importance,as long as you use caution in what you flash. one thing you can do is wait a few days between root and downgrade,so you can become more comfortable. the task may not seem as overwhelming if you break it down into the smaller parts
donate to my device fund
Last edited by scotty85; April 9th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
funkpod (April 10th, 2012)