View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #116 (permalink)
Scootmien
AF Contributor

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 - Stock ::::: iPhone 5 - Jailbroken :::::HTC One - Stock ::::: Samsung S2 - Rooted
Carrier: Vodafone / Three

I have to say, I read post #1 and #2 and you've laid out the Rooting procedure clearly and succinctly. For that you have my thanks.

A couple of questions though if I may as i'm about to root my phone and i'm a bit nervous (actually, very nervous).

I'm running an SGS2 with ICS 4.0.3 and XWLP7 kernel. I've got the latest version of Odin and Kies is up and running fine and the phone connects perfectly.

I've downloaded CF-Root-SGS2_XW_XEN_LP7-v5.4-CWM5, which I believe to be a close-to-stock rooted kernel and compatible with my phone as it currently stands and I have a USB Jig ready to go too.

I have a couple of questions and I know the answers are on here but I just do not want to brick a brand new phone by being an idiot, so i'd like to ask them plain and simply just so i don't screw up, if I may please?

If a new version of ICS is released, say 4.0.4 and/or beyond, can I use Kies to update my phone please? All the signs i've read seem to say no and that I would have to use another program called CWM (Which I think stands for ClockWork Mod). How difficult is this procedure please? It looks like CWM is here - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&feature=sea rch_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rb3VzaGlrZHV0 dGEucm9tbWFuYWdlciJd

Whilst rooting looks to be very easy, providing I follow all the steps carefully as laid out in the initial posts, flashing a new ROM looks to be a potential ballache though. As does using CWM to update the firmware if a new version of ICS is released for my carrier/phone.

If I wanted to return it to stock, I guess I would flash the XWLP7 from here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278 pretty much using exactly the same method used to root it. Is that right please?

Sorry for being a noob. Be gentle!
Last edited by Scootmien; April 24th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.