View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gmash

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argedion View Post
Gsmash thats my whole point we have company's suing each other and people suing companies and it all should be open source it should all be available to everyone to tweak as they need it.

But that's not the Capitalistic Way is it. I mean people sue just to sue. A lady sues because "Coffee" a beverage always have been served HOT burned her and the JUDGE not only allowed the case HE AWARDED HER. SERIOUSLY!!. What has happened to RESPONSIBILITY? Why is that such a negative word anymore.

I think if a Company Buys out another Company then all the Patents the company that was bought out had should go public and be open source. That would stop these people from wasting all this tax paying money filling up the courts with this kind of corporate garbage. I bet it would also stop these bigger companies from forcing these smaller companies into bankruptcy. Or even other companies into looking into other collaborations that could benefit us the public and those corporations even more
While I agree that patent law needs to be overhauled, (vastly shortening the length of tech patents would be a good place to start) you can't just expect all of a company's IP to turn into vapor when they get bought out. A lot of time, work and high paid salaries go into developing intellectual property, and it's worth something. I'm not really talking specifically about this case, I'm not a lawyer, I only know enough to know what I don't know, but it seems like Oracle figured they had Google by the...tail and wanted to charge more than Google thought was fair, so Google decided to take their chances in court. Whether they have a legal leg to stand on, I have no idea, but like I said, obviously Google thinks they do.

About the McDonalds hot coffee case, people like to cite that because it's easy, but it's not that simple. McDonalds coffee was hotter than normal, they had settled numerous cases over it before. The old lady had third degree burns and required skin grafts on her legs. The big money was awarded by a jury, not the judge, and was reduced on appeal and eventually settled for less than $600K. I have no problem with people suing corporations for grievances, it's the only thing that keeps them in line. Beware of anybody who tries to take that right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gmash For This Useful Post:
argedion (April 25th, 2012), EarlyMon (April 25th, 2012)