View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #12994 (permalink)
MSUgEEk
Premium Member

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,622 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancmatchett View Post
Funny you should ask that...i did too. Apparently when you pull a molar, and plan to replace it with an implant, some doctors will speed up the bone healing process (basically the holes where the roots were in the jawbone heal from the bottom up...) so they use a bone graft to fill in some of the space, and help speed up and bulk up the bone healing. Then in 3 months I go back, and they will screw in a titanium screw, and affix an implant tooth to the screw....
Now here is the learning part I did not know: sometimes they can use your own bone, scrapped off another part of your own jaw during the extraction, which is the best way (although quite painful) OR they use another bone...like cadaver or pig.....apparently I have good dental.insurance because my insurance covers everything, including the implant, except for the bone graft....of course...but thats only about $300...
A coworker is having the same procedures done, on the same tooth, the same day, but with a different doctor and hers is costing her about $5500..(ouch)
My younger brother just went through that process, except his was more extensive. He had two front teeth pulled because they were dwarf teeth and his other two front teeth never developed. They then told him his bone structure up front wasn't strong enough to accept 4 implants, so they grafted bone from the back portion of his jaw to the front where the implants were going to be. Then he went back several months later and got the studs put in and then a few weeks later had the teeth put on. He initially lost feeling on part of his lip and cheek but it came back mostly.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSUgEEk For This Useful Post:
ryancmatchett (May 7th, 2012)