I've mulled alostpacket's post over and think I'm ready to offer my thoughts.
- I'm not sure it was an oversight on his part, but I think the Announcements forum could be removed from Application Development if we have separate one's in Android Apps and Android Games (which I really like). Just link to those forums from Application Development, the reverse of what we currently do with the link to Applications Announcement forums now. This would seem to be a natural progression anyway. Coding Questions --> Beta test --> Announce your Game/Application and to me would make more sense
- I would move Audio, Video, & Ringtones to the Android Themes forum. This would seem to be a more natural fit to me anyway.
- I would add a Live Wallpaper forum under Android Themes as well. These are primarily concentrated in both Android Themes and Applications Announcements but can really be found sprinkled throughout the site. I think it would be nice to give them their own home.
- I like having Enterprise in Application Development instead of the Android Lounge. While it isn't a natural fit in Application Development, most of the threads in there are more technical (large scale deployment & support) and exposing them to folks in this area may get them some better answers. Could we leave a link to it in the Android Lounge?
- WRT Rom Developers, how many are still active? Should / could some of them be archived?
I realize that these changes would mean large quantities of thread moves (especially 1&3), but if the layout is logical we shouldn't confuse the users too much. Perhaps longer redirects (5 days?) plus a general site announcement would get folks used to it pretty quickly.
And I really didn't touch on my thoughts on my OP, but as implied by ALP's post and my post here, merge the two and see how it goes. Let the activity of the merged forum drive future discussions about prefixes or the need for any specific subforums (e.g. SDK).