View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #28 (permalink)
suprmallet

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
Engadget just posted their review of the LTEvo, based on their test drive with the device in New Orleans. You can read it here:

HTC EVO 4G LTE for Sprint review -- Engadget

Overall they really liked it, but I have a few quibbles with the review. One, they make a big stink about the phone not being a world phone (i.e., no GSM radios). Seriously? Having dual radios is a feature, not a requirement. It's a CDMA phone, you accept that it won't run on a GSM network unless it's a phone like the Moto Photon, which was specifically advertised as a world phone. Good lord. I wonder if they complained as heavily about the CDMA iPhone not being a world phone?

Two, for some reason they're annoyed that the LTE SIM is integrated into the phone and not user accessible. Is this really a big deal? Last I knew, the various carriers in the US do not operate compatible LTE networks. Will people be able to buy a Verizon phone and slap a Sprint LTE SIM in it (or vise versa)? I'm guessing not, so who cares if the user can't get to the SIM? That's like complaining that the radios are non-user accessible. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, and this really is a big deal for some reason, I'd like to know).
I believe the SIM card complaint is because Verizon's LTE phones allow you to access the SIM card (generally).

Also, the iPhone 4S is a world phone in all versions. Not sure about the iPhone 4.

That being said, their biggest criticism is that Sprint hasn't flipped on LTE yet. But even the 3G performance seems to be improved.
Last edited by suprmallet; May 10th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.