Thread: Rooting help?
View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-U-R-X
turbo drinker

Device(s): Nexus 4 (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2), Nexus 7 1st Gen (Stock, rooted, 4.4.2)
Carrier: EE

Thanked 7,029 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
That is an excellent and easy to understand explanation of Android security from the user perspective, and is as valid today as it was a few years ago.
Quote:
I looked at the "thanks" on that post, and am impressed (but not surpized) at how popular it has been. This seems like a very good place to reference it. Thank you.
I just thought that the permissions and security tips seemed to fit in well with what you were saying

Quote:
The only thing that I would add to it today is relative to what I've already discussed in my post about "root" above. More specifically, if you read through the full list of permissions detailed in that article, keep in mind that when root privilege is granted to any app, it effectively opens all of those other permissions at once, and adds more, such as permission for full OS access, to both read, modify and add to operating system software or data, etc. Such changes to the system cannot be fixed or purged by a Factory data reset.
I agree that you must be careful about what you do... you actually have to give apps root permission though, they don't automatically get it. I only give root access to stuff I trust... as an example, I use Titanium Backup to back my app data up (I like to change my ROM's every now and then) and I have to give it root access using superuser.