Originally Posted by UnplugMe
This is my mother's phone. Suddenly it won't take a charge for no apparent reason. She is a light user (in her 70's) and takes very good care of it. Bought the phone in October 2011. So, do I just buy a new battery and assume this one is dead? How do I know if the phone itself is bad? Thanks for any tips.
I have had this problem twice in the two years I have been using the phone.
My battery wasn't defective, I used a free App on Android Market(I don't remember the name of it) to check my battery. Basically the app recharged the battery and listed the current mAh the battery was reporting when fully charged. The BST-38 battery of this phone is a 970mAh battery. In my case, it reported around 900 mAh, so my battery was still in a good state.
To solve my problem, I tried another USB cable, tried another USB plug, none of which worked. I then removed the battery from the phone for a couple of minutes (2-3) and put it back in. Then pluged the phone to the AC adapter and the red light finally turn on.
I've only had twice the issue and I solved this issue this way both times. When I plug the phone to the AC adapter, the phone is turned off, I do not turn it back on after replacing the battery in it.
To me, this looks like a firmware/driver issue.