I've had the tablet for several days now, and while it has some Cons I'm satisfied with my choice.
I've been trying to find things about the tablet that justify its above average price tag thats causing such scare with critics so here goes.
1. Its the thinnest tablet of its generation.
2. It has a strong and quality build design, the competing tablets are plastic all around but the Excite 10 has an aluminum back with a textured feel for grip. The screen is made of unscratchable gorilla glass, and that alone is worth a few extra bucks. The other tablets use a plastic screen that need screen protectors.
3. It supports a Full sized SD Card and MicroSD card with adapter which supports up to 64GB. I don't think there are any competition yet.
4. One of determining factors for me was the fact that it has two stereo speakers. The Asus TF300 only has one which is a bummer.
5. And finally, maybe the ultimate reason is the stability. So far the Excite 10 is the most stable of its competitors, it seems unlikely to crash or freeze up. Perhaps this is why Toshiba did not include a reset hole on the tablet? The reviews that reported instability were mostly older pre release units before the recent firmware updates.
So you be the judge is worth and extra $50? I'm OK with it, I'd rather have the Gorilla Glass over the Plastic, Stereo Speakers, and the extra Stability.