View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
jdubincx

Device(s): Galaxy S3 Galaxy Note Galaxy S2
Carrier: Not Provided

Send a message via MSN to jdubincx
Post How it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by KupKrazy View Post
Are you talking about the AT&T SG Galaxy Note? As far as I know, the "move to SD" feature in the Note merely moves the app from the "Internal Storage" to what is called "USB storage" which is just another storage area within the phone. It does not actually move apps to the physical micro SD card that you have in the Note. In fact, I don't know of any way to move my apps in my Note to the physical micro SD card.

The only difference I see between the S3 and the Note in the way the memory is handled is that on the S3, the internal memory is no longer split up like the Note - and that it's just called "Device Memory". But in both devices, you were not able to actually move apps to the physical micro SD card.
Having used alot of Galaxy devices this is how it works:
With the Note and other previous and present android devices the move to SD card feature is used is save storage space in the internal memory. When an app is moved to the SD card the entire app is not moved but most of the app data, for example a large game that would have originally taken up 1GB of space would now take up around 35MB on the internal memory and the rest on the external memory card, thus saving alot of space in internal memory. There are some apps that cannot be transferred to external memory because of the requirements of the application. When an app with widget functionally is transferred using the move to SD feature the app looses it's ability to be used as a widget. Widgets require an app to be fully installed on internal memory to work. I have the GS3 international version.