View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
KupKrazy

Device(s): G3, GS4, Note2, GS3, Note, Charge, Vivid, Inspire, Desire, TabS10.5, Nexus7.2, Note10.1, Tab, XOOM
Carrier: AT&T, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubincx View Post
Having used alot of Galaxy devices this is how it works:
With the Note and other previous and present android devices the move to SD card feature is used is save storage space in the internal memory. When an app is moved to the SD card the entire app is not moved but most of the app data, for example a large game that would have originally taken up 1GB of space would now take up around 35MB on the internal memory and the rest on the external memory card, thus saving alot of space in internal memory. There are some apps that cannot be transferred to external memory because of the requirements of the application. When an app with widget functionally is transferred using the move to SD feature the app looses it's ability to be used as a widget. Widgets require an app to be fully installed on internal memory to work. I have the GS3 international version.
Thanks for the Android primer, but I fully understand how the move to SD feature is having owned a lot of HTC and Samsung Android devices. However, that is not how my Galaxy Note works. There is an 'internal storage' and there is a 'usb storage' - and both of them are part of the internal 16GB that is in my Galaxy Note. When you use the "move to SD" feature for apps that support it, it just moves the app from the internal storage to the usb storage (and as you said, leaving a smaller bit on the internal storage). Then there is the "SD Card" storage, which is the storage on your physical micro SD. There is no way to move the moveable apps to the micro SD card. You can only move them to the "usb storage" that is in the internal memory.

The only way you can utilize the micro SD card storage is two ways - copy your files (music, etc.) to the micro SD card (which is accessible as the folder /external_sd) and access them using apps like Music Player, PDF Reader, etc. Or, a few apps will ask you if you want to save the data to your external SD card. That is the only way, at least on my Galaxy Note, to use the micro SD card that is inserted. You cannot move an app to the micro SD card.

I have now have three phones that operate this way where you cannot move apps to the external micro SD card but really only use it as an archive for your files: The HTC Vivid, Samsung Galaxy Note, and now Samsung Galaxy S3 - all of them AT&T.

Maybe it's just an AT&T thing.