View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #480 (permalink)
RazzMaTazz
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatrinni View Post
My main concern is that I want to sync my personal information without any third party involvement. I want my info kept between me, my pc and my phone. If I use hotmail I would still be using a third party ,correct?...

The software I am looking at is here Android-Sync | Sync Android with Outlook via USB it costs, but I would rather pay than put even more of my personal info "out there".
If you sync via Hotmail, then your contact info will be on Hotmail's (Microsoft's) servers. If you sync via Gmail (through a program like gSyncIt) then your contact info will be on Gmail's (Google's) servers.

There is a free program called, "My Phone Explorer" by FJ Software that you can use to sync your phone directly with Outlook over USB or WiFi without having to put your contact info on anybody's servers. You have to install an Outlook add-in on your PC and a small app on your phone. You have to manually invoke the synchronization when you get back to your PC.

The nice thing about the Hotmail solution is that it syncs in real time, no matter where you are. I'm not too worried about Microsoft having my contact info. They have publicly stated that they won't use that info to target you with adverstising, etc. Google has publicly stated that they will. Of course, Microsoft could change its policy at some point, but Microsoft has proven itself trustworthy for decades.