View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #41 (permalink)
RazzMaTazz
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
I assume one has to connect to the PC after step B to make step C possible.
Yes, I think it's easiest to connect your phone to your PC via USB, turn on USB storage, and then transfer the update.zip file from your PC to your phone via USB. But alternatively, you could put your phone's SD card into the PC's card reader slot, transfer the file to your SD card and then put the card back into the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefboyardee View Post
Then, after step C, should the USB be disconnected before step D?
It doesn't matter whether you remain connected via USB before step D. The phone doesn't "know" that it's connected.

FYI: Even though I had rooted and flashed my phone, my son's phone, and my daughter's phone many months ago, I finally got around to doing my wife's ZVC phone last week. I guess that you're still stuck on ZVC like she was thanks to our deliberate update-killing battery-pull-trick that we did to preserve free hotspot way back when. One nice thing about doing the ZVD-based update.zip is that it preserves your apps and data, just like if you were doing an official over-the-air Sprint update. From there you can follow the main tutorial to root, do a backup, etc.

I'm on ZVD-based Reborn ROM. It's nice. The Ice Cream Sandwich based custom ROMs that are furthest along in devlopment (beta now), are ZVD-based, so I'd recommend staying with a ZVD-based ROM. ICS is nice and the devs are building in stuff like data2SD, apps2SD, etc., essentially giving us unlimited RAM (if you have a Class-6 or faster SD card).
The Following User Says Thank You to RazzMaTazz For This Useful Post:
jefboyardee (July 9th, 2012)