View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #52 (permalink)
Zoandroid

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
I can confirm, through the Samsung Galaxy Support Team (Level 2), that the request for the ENCRYPTED bootloader (not just locked) was made by Verizon themselves, and Verizon was the ONLY carrier to want this...

The bootloader status is also part of the OEM/Carrier agreement between Samsung and VZW, and because of said agreement, VZW is the only party with the ability to unlock the device...

i got the vibe from the tech that i spoke to, that VZW requested this and that they would have refused the carry the device without Samsung agreeing to the the modification

Edit: I've also read from someone who has spoken with a Level 3 Samsung Tech...that the phones left Samsung and Verizon THEMSELVES performed the software modifications...this person got the vibe from his tech that Samsung was resistant to the modification, but that VZW went ahead with it anyway
This is a good explanation of why Verizon was also the last carrier to release the S3. They would have to physically connect to each and every phone to reprogram it with their custom BS. That takes time.

liberum enim electronic fabrica