View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #222 (permalink)
ironass
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): SGS5 SM-G900F. Rooted. KitKat 4.4.2 NEAT ROM. Baseband: NG2. KT kernel+PhilZ recovery.
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanked 3,898 Times in 2,572 Posts

Hello and welcome to Android Forums sg2bg!

[QUOTE=sg2bg;4673013]
Quote:
could you please clarify few things for me here. i'm new to android and still learning. i have sg2 not rooted yet! but it will happen in the nearest future as soon as i know the difference between kernels. from this thread i've learnt that i can root my I9100MULD3 ICS with LP7 kernel, but now what if i want to roll back to GB, do i have to install different kernel?
Now that you are already on stock ICS, you will need to flash a GB ROM/firmware, which will contain its own kernel, to downgrade.

Quote:
second, some roms that i;ve browsed say that they come with kernel! what does it mean?
Exactly that! The firmware comes with its own kernel to control operations. For an explanation of what a kernel does, see, Android A to Z: What is a kernel?

Quote:
and, will they(roms) work with LP7 kernel that i will have on my device or i will have to put another kernel again?
ROM's come with their own kernel.

Quote:
and finally what is the difference between CF-******LP7 kernel and siyah one?
The CF-Root kernel, LP7, is identical to the LP7 kernel that comes with your stock firmware except that it has been engineered to provide you root access. Siyah kernel is one that you can flash after you are rooted and offers battery and performance improvements.

Dummies Guides Rooting Galaxy S4 * Know Your S4 * Update Problems * Knox Security * Bloatware * GPS
The Following User Says Thank You to ironass For This Useful Post:
sg2bg (July 16th, 2012)