Thread: OTA Update
View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
PhilosoRaptor

Device(s): Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
oooh,that sucks. are you sure that being outside of vzws native range will prevent the OTA? your not actually acumulating roaming cahrges are you?

until you fid yourself near vzw towers it wouldnt hurt to keep checking the update status while in wifi. ive actually gotten my thunderbolt to download and apply updates over wifi,when it was not even an active phone

unfortunately,there is no way to update the phone that i know of,that wont wipe all her data
No, we've lived here for over a year now and I've never heard of Verizon penalizing you for not being on their network.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can't receive the OTA while in their Extended Network. When I go to the "update" (I don't have the phone with me now, so I'm not sure if that's the exact verbage, but I think it was the second option from the bottom) options in the main settings menu, the "check for update" (again, not sure on the verbage) button is grayed out and it actually says "Roaming" under that button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss View Post
^^^^^^
I can second that, your phone should update on wifi the normal way without wiping. My wifes razr was acutallly on wifi when the ICS update hit her phone last month don't know why it would be different for Rezound. And I remember a while ago messing around trying to brick an old Eris, line wasn't active but update popped up.
See above. I actually received the 4.0.2 update on my Galaxy Nexus over WiFi when I first got it too (was the first OTA for it and was pushed on launch day), it wasn't even activated on the carrier or had a SIM card in it at the time. I figured since it was a Nexus phone, it pulled its updates directly from Google and not Verizon. So I'm not sure if different phones pull updates differently or what..? I'm thinking maybe your Razr wasn't roaming, so it actually found the update from the carrier, then was able to download it on WiFi once it knew where to pull the OTA from. No idea, just a guess. But the Rezound doesn't even let you check for updates while you're roaming, the button is greyed out and it says "Roaming" under it.