View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
drexappeal

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simcha View Post
Wait... So from what that article is saying, if I buy a phone by the end of the year to use my last yearly upgrade, I will be locked into a phone that only does LTE at 1900. If I wait until January (when I no longer have the upgrade), I will have a phone that gets LTE on three bands?

That would mean that if I get an LTEvo, I'll be stuck with LTE on one crowded band while everyone else enjoys three bands to allow for extra bandwith for an entire 18 months.

Grrr....
I read that part too and it does make sense, since the 800mhz spectrum for LTE just passed through the FCC this year:
FCC clears Sprint to run CDMA, 4G LTE on 800MHz iDEN airwaves -- Engadget

S4gru has a thread going explaining about the spectrums, but it still confuses me a 'bit:
WiMax ~vs~ TDD-LTE coverage at 2500Mhz - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

As far as offering phones with the 3 band connection, I'm assuming that those phones won't be offered until next summer (at the earliest), since the 800mhz just passed through for 3g and lte support and the 1 year R&D that Sprint apparently goes through, that would mean early June 2013 would be the first phone offered that is "compatible" with the 3 band spectrum. Also, if we're to believe what engadget said in the article, 2014 is the target date for all of the towers to be activated for the 800 / 2500 band, so there's lots of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
simcha (August 16th, 2012)